Please note that I made notes at the end of most sections to assist with essay.
You are a nursing consultant who has been assigned to analyze a healthcare organization in order to identify a change or improvement needed by the organization. In your analysis, you will use external measures such as HCAHPS scores, patient metrics, community needs, and comparisons to other facilities in area. After your analysis, you will write a consultative change recommendation to present to the executive board of the organization.
No more than a combined total of 30% of the submission and no more than a 10% match to any one individual source can be directly quoted or closely paraphrased from sources, even if cited correctly.
You must use the rubric to direct the creation of your submission because it provides detailed criteria that will be used to evaluate your work. Each requirement below may be evaluated by more than one rubric aspect. The rubric aspect titles may contain hyperlinks to relevant portions of the course.
A. Write a consultative change recommendation paper (suggested length of 710 pages) by doing the following:
1. Identify the purpose of the consultation and provide a summary of the consultation process. Clearly identify and summarize the data collection procedures that were used during the consultation.
To look at the discharge process (educating patient about their medications/prescriptions and making arrangements for follow-up appointments) and see what measures can be taken to improve patient outcomes and satisfaction scores. Begin discharge process upon admit so that preparations can be made.
2. Describe the organization. The description needs to provide a summary of the organizations type and location, number of employees and patient encounters, organizational structure and services provided. Or there is a rationale for why any missing information is not included.
A freestanding comprehensive psychiatric hospital that specializes in mental health and chemical dependency hospital for adults ages 18 and older that provides inpatient and outpatient services. The hospital offers a variety of specialty programs such as Chemical Dependency, General Psychology, Senior Behavioral Health Services, Strong Hope Military Programs and Intensive Out Patient (IOP). At this Behavioral Health hospital, the patient, his or her family and / or significant other are the focus of the staff. The treatment process has the goal of improving patient outcomes by providing support to the patient so that he or she may return stronger emotionally to daily living.
At this particular institution, quality care and safety are their primary focus. It is a system aimed at improving the lives of individuals. Their mission is to improve healthcare by setting the excellence standards in providing exceptional patient care. Patients are from all parts of the world to seek the professionals and the compassion care, which nurses, physicians and other team members, who are great leaders in their respective fields, provide.
150 staff hospital wide, 80 nursing staff.
Explain the primary needs of the population served by this organization. The explanation needs to include the size of the organizations service area and the demographics (e.g., age, race) of the population served. The primary needs of this population are identified, including the primary health risks in the service area. The explanation includes how those risks impact the community and the organization.
An acute behavioral health hospital located that provides behavioral health services to adults ages 18 and above. Average inpatient stay for is 12 days.
Military Patients and Rehab patients have a longer stay (28 day average).
4. Describe the nurse leader\’s role. The description of the nurse leaders role explains the formal or informal influence that the leader has within the organization and how the nurse leaders role aligns with the roles defined in The Essentials of Masters Education in Nursing.
Director of Nursing
5. Identify the characteristics of the organization. Each of the following characteristics of the organization is accurately identified: current strengths, current weaknesses, current evidence-based practice activities, and quality improvement projects.
114-bed behavioral health hospital that provides acute inpatient and Intensive Outpatient Program (IOP)
6. Recommend an organizational change based on your analysis. Include a recommended organizational change and a description of how the change will prioritize patient centeredness.
a. Justify how your recommended change addresses the organization\’s weaknesses and the community\’s needs. The justification needs to logically explain how the change will address the weaknesses of the organization and the needs of the community. The recommendation needs to be supported by well-reasoned, reliable information.
Educating the patients and their family members regarding discharge medications and follow up appointments. This will improve the patients understanding and ultimately their satisfaction.
b. Identify a national benchmark of performance and describe a plan to measure the effectiveness of your recommended change. The identified national benchmark of performance needs to be logical and applicable for measuring the organizational change. There needs to be a clear, feasible plan for measuring the effectiveness of the recommended change over time.
HCAHPS scores. Use PDSA (Plan-Do-Study-Act) model.
B. Acknowledge sources, using APA-formatted in-text citations and references, for content that is quoted, paraphrased, or summarized.